On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 16:16:36 +0000 (GMT), Heiko wrote in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> [...]

..before you jump to conclusions, beware that focal length
is _no_ exact science:  ;o)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/35_mm_equivalent_focal_length

..on top of that we have X.org et al and our own ... "
--geometry=WxH               Specify window geometry (640x480, etc)
--view-offset=value          Specify the default forward view direction
                             as an offset from straight ahead. Allowable
                             values are LEFT, RIGHT, CENTER, or a
                             specific number in degrees"

...and finally nutcases building cockpit simulators,
thru monitor igloos.  ;o)

..that said, a coupla quickie demos:
http://www.kevinwilley.com/images/educational/wide_angle/slide_pine_tree.gif
http://www.usa.canon.com/app/html/EFLenses101/focal_length.html
http://www.kevinwilley.com/l3_topic03.htm

> The most ac's uses a FOV of 50-60.
> A lot of pages says that an objective with a focal length of 50 mm
> comes close to Angle of view of human vision. 50mm on fullframe has
> an angle of view about 46 degress.
>
> My question: why is the FOV set by default then to 55? Is there
> something I miss? (Of course I know everyone can set this value by
> his own- It seems for me that the ac's looks more realistic with a
> fov between 36 and 46)

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: