I've been carrying on with my experiments with my FGPositioned idea, and I now have several of my original steps done:

 - Fix, NavRecord, Airport and Runway all inherit the base class
- they all live on the heap, where previously Runway and Fix were stack based, and hence rather heavy to work with - since the liftetime is now (generally) long, I can use a persistent spatial index (currently not Matthias', but it's an easy, internal change) - I can query all of the above in a unified fashion, and add more types easily (Jon Stockhill has obstacle data I can add in) - I've written a bunch of test cases, all of which pass identically on the mainline and with my changes applied

Lots of code quality cleanups fall out from the above, and there's plenty more I can pursue once the basic code is committed. So from my perspective it feels like a 'good' change, quite apart from my major motivation for it - providing the foundation for the NAV display and FMS features.

I can continue working away privately, but I'd like to avoid drifting every further from the mainline, so unless someone can think of reason why it's an absolutely dreadful concept, I will start firing code at some luckless victim. I'm not going to submit a single diff because it's already rather large, and contains some other features I stupidly did on the same branch.

Comments?

Attached - current FGPositioned header. I'm still undecided about switching it to Tim's 'flightgear' namespace (and dropping the FG prefix), if we're going to go down that path I'd sooner submit a boring cleanup patch for the derived classes as well.

James