Hi David,

When I read your email, it intuitively felt like that was it. Your description
matches so well with the behavior that I am seeing, (except for the warning
messages on the console). Felt like your suggestion was on the money.
Very eagerly I tried it but alas that didnt help either. I feel mighty
discouraged.

On a separate note
I use the puppy linux live cd for flightgear 1.0 on another machine to play
flightgear at work sometimes, on a server procured a little in advance and will
be commissioned for its intended place in the server room soon but till then I
am having a little fun with it. Anyway puppy linux works very well for this
case and gives me heartfelt joy playing the game. Good machine too dual quad
core 8gb memory  pci-e nvidia framebuffer 512mb video ram, and I dont have to
disturb what is installed there already.  So today I tried using the Saitek
Aviator AV8R joystick with it but it did not work out of the box. Disappointed
I did some poking around and found the solution. The kernel recognized it off
the bat. dmesg had it but js_demo was picking NADA.

The solution is to do modprobe joydev;
Halaluja developers have done a good job mapping the axis and buttons on it.

btw any more suggestions for that radeon?

Regards,