On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 5:41 PM, Martin Spott wrote:

> Frederic Bouvier wrote:
> > Martin Spott a ??crit :
>
> > >   http://lists.eogeo.org/pipermail/tiling/2006-September/000052.html
> > >
> > > Don't miss the attachment at the bottom of the page,
> >
> > It appears that I implemented a mapping like this, without knowing the
> > existence of this document.
>
> Did you know about OSSIM/ossimPlanet before ? As far as I can tell
> they're not restricted to using raster data to cover the terrain, they
> should also be able to read polygons and apply textures accordingly,

I always thought it would be interesting (if we migrated to or added a photo
texture based world) to create pseudo-photo textures based on the polygon
input .. but we could do a lot of extra nice work to blend textures, round
out the flat sides of polygons and generally make things a lot nicer and a
lot more interesting.  We could ship the terrain data along with the polygon
data and then the textures would be created on the fly (and possibly cached
locally.)  But there are a million different ways to attack the issue of
modeling the world, each with their own unique strengths and weaknesses.

Fred, your demo movies look really interesting.  I'm looking forward to
continued great results!

Curt.
--
Curtis Olson: http://baron.flightgear.org/~curt/