On Oct 20, 2008, at 7:09 PM, Erik Hofman wrote:

> Actually I do have code laying around that does exactly that but it
> can
> only read so called canonical wave files, meaning the layout should be
> exactly like that otherwise it will fail (meybe even coredump).
>
> I find that much too limited for a project like FlightGear, hence my
> vote against abandoning ALUT (which I know works well, actually it
> even
> contains code from me).

Developing a code which can work with any type of wav-s, of course
will take much longer than 40 lines. Even if we forget about that
fact, that
wav is just a container, that can contain virtually anything.
Implementing
a proper WAV handler can be a real headache, it's true.
Right now - as I see, ALUT is used only due the WAVE reading purposes,
because initialization-destruction of OpenAL is really simple and can
be implemented in SimGear code directly. It will take several lines
longer
than now.

In fact - just abadoning ALUT will cause more troubles than advantages,
so I'm planning to write an alternative and let user decide which
approach
to use simply by ./configure -ing with key...let's say --without-alut.