* Curtis Olson -- 11/3/2008 4:46 PM:
> - If it was me doing this, I would suggest something like:
> Airports/L/LO/LOX/LOXA.xml (just the one file per airport)

As I wrote previously, if we drop the requirement to have
separated files per airport, then I'd go with Curt's layout.
Of course, this makes work for the scenery people somewhat
harder, but I think we can easily handle that:

o conversion of all custom (non-PropertyList-) XML files to
  PropertyList format. This could easily be done from within
  FlightGear. A Nasal script (that I would be willing to write)
  could scan the respective AI/ dirs, suck in each parking.xml
  etc. file (io.readxml()), do some renaming, and write it out
  again as PropertyList. (I'd suggest standard property names
  as much as possible, floating point numbers for coordinates,
  instead of "N48 23.345" format, etc.) If that makes files too
  big, then we can still consider to use *.xml.gz, though that
  would make loading slightly slower.

  The original custom format files would remain and the AI/traffic
  code would keep using those old files until it has adapted
  to the new way. Of course, Durk would have a say in that.
  Finally the old files could be removed.

o merging of PropertyList files from various sources (converted
  AI files, hand crafted new files etc.): This could easily be
  done by a little tool that links against libsgprops.a and
  just does multiple readProperties() followed by a single
  writeProperties(). I would be willing to write that as well
  (just a few lines -- 30 min job :-).

  The automated scenery generation process could then do all the
  merging without much pain. (Maybe a property attribute 'remove="y"'
  would be desirable, so that a PropertyList merge could remove
  nodes, something that we could also use in 3D animation
  overlays.)

m.