On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 03:36:53 +0100, gerard wrote in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> On mercredi 12 novembre 2008, Arnt Karlsen wrote:
> > On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 02:22:12 +0100, gerard wrote in message
> >
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> > > Hello
> > > It is not the Concorde , nor the Titannic only the Crusader which
> > > sink. I have just updated the FDM of the  F-8E Crusader, which
> > > will sink if you try to land on water.
> > > It only pretend to show that is possible to simulate an aircraft
> > > which sink when on the water.
> > >
> > > It is NOT  an animation but the real behavior controlled  by the
> > > FDM (JSBSim)
> > >
> > > First stage   the aircraft is sliding on the water.
> > > http://pagesperso-orange.fr/GRTux/Cruse-sink-stage1.jpg
> > >
> > > Second stage (20 sec later) the Aircraft is stopped , it begin to
> > > sink. http://pagesperso-orange.fr/GRTux/Cruse-sink-stage2.jpg
> >
> > ..once water bangs in thru that big hole up front,
> > wouldn't it rip up the airframe?
>
> In reality the pilot should have pulled the jettison handle,  the
> canopy is then ejected, just before the pilot himself.
>
> Which happened  :(  mainly  after catapulting  ( defect of power)
>
> This could be part of an animation with submodel ( it could be an
> other story) I had done it some years ago but was never included.
> >
> > > Third stage (10 sec later) , the nose and the cockpit are in the
> > > water http://pagesperso-orange.fr/GRTux/Cruse-sink-stage3.jpg
> > >
> > > Forth stage (10 sec later), now there nothing to be done only the
> > > tail can be seen.
> > > http://pagesperso-orange.fr/GRTux/Cruse-sink-stage4.jpg
> > >
> > > You can experience that process with the Crusader from CVS, last
> > > update (NOW) Remember you must touch the water at low speed.
> > >
> > > You may do it with landing gear down ( though, any real pilot will
> > > tell you, to do it, gear up)
> > > Here it was done gears down
> >
> > ..this is just your screen shots and not the French Navy
> > F-8E ditch policy???  The F-8 is no Cub where you _can_ do
> > idiot stunts like aquaplane taxiing in RL if you lock the
> > brakes before touchdown on water.
> > How many seconds does a F-8 ditch take from touchdown to
> > "fin under water"?
>
> I never got any precise answer from my friends, in any case it was
> very short. These aircraft are not boats :)

..aye, I'd be guessing 2 to 5 seconds, _maybe_ 10, _not_ 20,
in the full-load launch ditches.  ;o)

> > > ( only to prove that we don't walk on the
> > > sea :) ) Beware a too high speed will act the crash and freeze FG.
> > >
> > > When the aircraft stop to slide on the water, the process will
> > > start , it takes about 40 seconds

..40 seconds???  Greasy slick water and playing high speed water
ski without messy draggy stuff under the wings and the belly?
How slow can they get before they scoop in that ton of water
trashing the compressor etc?

> > > Any FDM parameters can be modified , so we could get a very smooth
> > > sinking, and some others  behavior, if wanted.
> > >
> > > Cheers

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: