Hi Stuart,

I'm actually trying to implement failures onto a fork of the Lionceau.

http://seb.marque.free.fr/fichiers/flightgear/apm20.tgz
(--aircraft=apm20, the official Lionceau needs to be installed)

For now it doesn't "create" random or calculated failures, but manage
manual failures (the intention is to create failures via an external
application or distant instructor). As you've mentionned it looks
through .+/serviceable props to know if an instrument fails.

I'm sure I'm not clever enough to invent powder, but I've tried a way to
manage failures in a transparent way for the pilots using alias/unalias
Nasal capacities.

Indeed every instrument in the panel is the reflect of a property
aliased to the real data as given by the fdm. When a instrument fails, I
unalias the property and manage the output calculation with some Nasal
code, if necessary (i.e. when the output needs to vary even if the
instrument fails, or gives a wrong information even if the system works
fine: levels/temps/pressures). This part is still to be done... indeed
it is in an early devel stage.

I'm also going to try the system too with the rudder, elevator and
ailerons properties, it means that the fdm config files need to be
modified to use the aliased prop rather than the usual
/controls/flight/* ones. This should allow to unalias the props and even
if the pilot try to make the controls act, it doesn't have the pilot's
expected effect on fdm.

BTW in the same fork I've implemented an engine failure when it is used
in a non-proper way (more than 5 min full throttle, engine damages
calculation above 90% throttle, soon will come oil temp and cht temp,
following engine and flight manuals descriptions, see limitations.nas).
In order to stop the engine in a more "realistic" manner I use the
/engines/engine/out-of-fuel prop allowing engine coughs for a certain
amount of time before being complety off without using magnetos (I find
ugly to see the magneto switch moving alone in a cokpit :p).

For brakes I also use my own implementation of controls.applyBrakes (see
actions.nas) which is a kind of failure system to avoid the aircraft to
slow down too quickly and is intented to be improved in order to manage
wet surfaces and brakes failures.

That said, I don't know the cpu cost of using many aliases.

I've got a question about your script: what do mean MTBF and MCBF, and
what is the purpose of JAM failure?

Last point: I think I've found a possible mistake in static system
failure with airspeed indicator: indeed I though that with blocked
statics (dirty or forgotten flames) and pitot working fine, the
indicated airspeed is higher than real airspeed, but actually it seems
not to be the case. Indeed the ASI gives some relatively high speed near
the ground but falls down to zero quite quickly when climbing, then goes
back to a high value at 0ft/mn climbing... I'm maybe complety wrong and
the simulated behaviour is correct.

best regards
seb

PS: I found very nice to have a closer look in failures management
because this is one of the few "dangers" we have and can simulate,
keeping the fun-side of FG and improving pilot-skills entertainment.