On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 12:30 PM, Curtis Olson <curtol...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Here's a hypothetical question.
>
> Let's say some company "A" builds an internal product prototype that
> incorporates FlightGear as part of a larger aggregate system.  Let's say
> they even make a few small changes to FlightGear.  Now they give away a demo
> system to a couple different potential customers and say, "Hey what do you
> think."  They haven't rolled out an actual product, they haven't had any
> actual sales.  No customer has paid any money for the copy of the system.
>
> Has the GPL been violated?

Hi Curt,

I believe that as the software has not been released, this would be
the same as an software developer extending some software. As long as
the product hasn't been provided to the customer then everything is
okay. It's only when you have sold the software that you are required
to provide access to the software to that customer.

Having said that, if the company above are supplying the demo on
installation media, then the above doesn't apply and the GPL has been
violated.

Regards

George