Melchior FRANZ wrote:

> This will probably become a flame-war, but I see no way to avoid
> it. Tim plans to extend the property system with compound data
> types, such as VEC3, VEC4, or COLOR. We've discussed this three times
> in IRC, and I've always pointed out why this is IMHO a *BAD* thing,
> and why I strongly object. But now he has implemented it in his
> source, and made that the base of further (desirable!) features.
>
> I don't want a flame war with Tim, but this needs to be decided
> *now*. Otherwise we might end up having to decide whether we want
> the (IMHO) "evil" property change *and* the nice features, or
> neither. And that's not how a decision about one of our foundations
> should be made!
>
> (To Tim's defense, he had planned to write an RFC to the devel list
> about it, though he also intended to commit parts of the change before
> that. And to my defense: I have told him that if he doesn't write the
> RFC *soon*, then I will bring it up on the list!)

I don't see any reason for this to become a flame-war.

I think it would be good for Tim to explain why more complex types are
required, as I'm sure he will do shortly :)

My immediate thought is that one could write some fairly straightforward
code to interpret a given property node with 3 child values as a Vec3. Could
we subvert the property attributes to indicate that a given nodes contains
a Vect3. That way internal code could interpret it as a Vec3, while external
interfaces would be preserved.

Like Erik, I'm very concerned about making the external interfaces more
complex. One of the huge strengths of the property system at present is its
simplicity, and I think that would be lost.

-Stuart