Hmm,  running Centos-5.3 and the latest boost version in that distro is
1.33.   Do you happen to know the latest version on RH?  Debian is 1.35
based on the packages in the stable release.

I'm not all that conversant on the benefits of boost.  what is gained?
Tried compiling a boost library for 1.38 on a 64-bit and ran into a few
problems and have not had the time to run them to ground.

Sorry, either I missed it on the discussion lists or the topic was
discussed on the IRC or elsewhere.  If the decision was made to require
it, the build system needs to be fixed.   If the matter is still under
discussion then I would object to a de facto requirement in build 1.9.x.