2009/5/11 Erik Hofman <e...@ehofman.com>:
> Lee Qid wrote:
>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> and excuse me for butting in on this one, but the post just rung my alarm
>> bell.
>>
>> Am I interpreting your post correctly? You want to implement your own
>> XML parser.
>
> No, I have already.
>
>> Wouldn't that be like reinventing the wheel? There are tons of them
>> out there - there's bound to be one that fits the requirements.
>
> Yup, but not for my needs (why I implemented it in the first place).
> They are all way too bloated for what I needed it for.
>
>> The post also raises a few questions:
>> What exactly do you want to improve on with the new parser?
>
> See my other post:
> 4. The main reason I put time into it is to try get rid of the
> occasional hicks I see when new terrain (along with new models) get
> loaded at runtime. I was hoping that a faster XML parser might improve that.
>> What's the talk about memory fragmentation about?
>
> Sounds like you're asking something you don't know much about.

Sorry about the confusion here - actually I meant _why_ are you
talking about memory fragmentation. I fully understand the _what_. I
need to remember to be more precise. But you've already answered the
question anyway.
I'd consider memory fragmentation a non-issue. It's OS specific
anyway. If it's really an issue, I'd look at my code and search for
problems which are created by the way the XML parser is used.

You're correct that parsing XML when loading scenery isn't really
good. I also agree that it can cause slow downs. But what you are
doing here is opening up a pandora's box full of bugs. There has to be
a better solution.
As I'm not very familiar with the FG code, I'll just try to discuss my
ideas to come up with that better solution, if you don't mind:
* What data is loaded from XML Files exactly?
* Can the XML parsing moved out of the time-critical code into a non
critical part like initialisation? Or can it be done asynchronously
with an additional decorator pattern?