On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 2:39 PM, Gary Neely <grne...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 10:39 AM, Jim Wilson<j...@kelcoindustries.com>
> wrote:
>
> > For those who are modeling and are not bothering with setting the crease
> > value now (and letting it default to 30) I would strongly recommend
> removing
> > all the lines from the ac files that contain the word crease before
> > committing them to CVS.   I think you will really enjoy the improved
> > appearance of your work.
> >
> > Best,
> >
> > Jim
>

> I've used the crease setting to get a very passable rounded
> appearances on surfaces like landing gear struts using surprisingly
> low polygon counts. A tube with a cross section having only 8 vertices
> can give very pleasing results after you play with the crease setting
> a bit, to values like Vivian suggests. The application can have
> considerable effect on polygon counts. I learned this trick from
> examination of the A-10 model done by Lee Elliott I believe.
>
> -Gary, aka Buckaroo on MP

Yes, that's normal smooth shading.  The purpose of crease is to actually
cause a crease, not to prevent one.  I just looked it up and if the setting,
either an older ac3d file or bye deleting the lines from your ac file, the
default being used is 61.  That should be the default in your models unless
you want a crease to show.

Best,

Jim