For various reasons I've let the discussion on my proposed property system
extensions
drop for a couple of months. You may recall that the proposal was to add two
vector types,
Vec3D and Vec4D, as primitive types in the property system. My rationale is
that this
improves readability of (the soon to appear) graphics effect files, which will
use many
3 and 4-dimensional quantities, and solves a specific problem with updating
values inside of
OSG using property listeners. Some people are enthusiastic for this new
functionality, one
person is violently opposed, and there is much skepticism about why this might
be necessary
and if it is a good idea. Nevertheless, I think it's fair to say that the
evolving consensus
was that it would be OK to make this change as long as the new feature was not
used in
existing XML files and existing properties were not changed to use the new
property types.
I respect this desire for absolute compatibility, but my code at the time could
not
enforce this rule. Part of the delay of the last couple of months has been
pondering whether
I wanted to use the existing syntax and listener features and how to refactor
SGPropertyNode
to support a parallel property system.

I've decided that graphics effects will use the extended properties. I simply
don't want to
write files that use the more verbose alternative, and I don't want to program
around
the update issues that are nicely solved by listeners. Furthermore, refactoring
SGPropertyNode
is turning out to be a big effort with very little real benefit.

So, I propose to add an argument to readProperties that controls whether or not
the new
property types are recognized. By default they are not, so only code that
explicitly calls
for them will be able to use them.

Comments?
Tim