Hey Gijs and all,

I've contacted Peter off-list regarding the wiki style.

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 3:00 PM, Gijs de Rooy <gijsr...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Wiki styles
> Our wiki supports a couple of styles, including Monobook (used by Wikipedia,
> and default
> included in every mediawiki package) and fratman_enhanced (default on our
> wiki, it's the
> one with the blue/white A-10 logo). You probably want the fratman style?
> Personally I don't like that template at all (altough the logo is quite
> nice), so I use the
> Monobook one which is much easier in use (atleast when writing articles).
> But you have
> to decide for yourself, or give your users the option to choose.

I've been testing the latest MediaWiki code and have had troubles with
the fratman style, so Monobook may become the default if I can get a
suitable corner logo done.  Either way, it's always an optional
preference to use Monobook.

> Multi language
> Your plan to put up a Polish wiki brought a discussion in mind that I and
> Simon had a while
> ago. We planned to provide the wiki in multiple languages (like you see on
> wikipedia), but
> the fact that our wiki is running on just one server gave some technical
> problems according
> to Simon. Maybey this is the time to take another look at the possibilities.

> The last part of my email is kinda off-topic to Peters subject, but it might
> be good to see whether we
> can merge multiple languaged wikis before starting new ones.

> Gijs

As far as I see it, there's currently three solutions to this problem :

1. Handle it Wikipedia style : one server or virtual server per
language (separate logins; separate templates; separate media unless
we have a media commons) where we use inter-wiki links to match up the
translations of pages.

2. Use (and possibly maintain) one or more of the plugins (Polyglot,
multilang, etc..)  that hacks Mediawiki into handling multiple
languages.

3. Use sub-pages (e.g. http://wiki.flightgear.org/Main_Page/nl) and
have a language template bar like http://mediawiki.org uses.

I think using sub-pages and having a similar procedure to the
mediawiki.org site is probably the best way to approach this.   We can
also incorporate inter-wiki links for any other established flightgear
wikis.

BTW, the recent error with the wiki was due to the fact that the
database is latin1 and not utf-8.  I'll go ahead and convert the
database to utf-8 so we can start testing out sub-pages and language
templates.

Simon