Hey gang.

I'm working on a high resolution version of the scenery for my home,
Newfoundland. It's coming along VERY well, but I'm running into limitations of
what my computer can handle building. Essentially, I've cut the fgfs-construct
commands into the theoretically smallest allowable sizes: I'm running the
command around 4000 times, each time doing a 0.0625 by 0.125 degree piece of
scenery. Even while cutting the job up into such small pieces, the process gets
killed sometimes. However, the resulting scenery looks fantastic, and runs
fine. But I know that somewhere out there are places where there will be
strange artifact from a build that died pre-maturely.

My question is this: what is the hardware bottleneck here? As far as I can
tell, the system isn't running out of ram, as my monitored usage stays around
200MB. I'm using a dual core processor, and for each build, it runs one
processor at 100% while the other idles around 5-10%. Each time it starts work
on a new piece, the processors switch workload. What needs to be improved to
keep a really complicated scenery build from being killed?
-cullam

http://www.flickr.com/gift/