> On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 2:49 PM, Torsten Dreyer wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I just committed a featurette for the menubar which is disabled by
> > default but
> > can be enabled by setting /sim/menubar/autovisibility/enabled to true.
>
> Here's another random thought.  I don't know if it would be any better or
> not, but might be interesting for some situations.  Right now we hide the
> mouse pointer after 10 seconds of no mouse motion.  It might be interesting
> to hide the menu at the same time?  This may not be optimal for those who
> fly with the mouse, but could be useful for many other usage modes.
Yep - that's probably a good idea. I'll try it out...

> It might make sense to make the F10 toggle work in partnership with the
> auto-hider feature rather than keeping the functions totally separate?  If
> the auto-hide is turned on and the menu has become hidden, what happens
>  when someone presses F10?  Should this make the menu visible and turn off
>  the auto-hide feature (at least for a while)?
>
> I'm worried that if auto-hide is enabled and someone presses F10 to toggle
> the menu off, will the menu then not appear when you move the mouse to the
> top of the screen?  If someone inadvertently presses F10 and doesn't
>  realize it, the menu could be lost to them.  I only worry about this
>  because I got a different keyboard about a year ago and I'm still forever
>  missing my intended key and hitting the wrong one ... especially when I'm
>  trying to focus on too many things at once ... like when I'm flying. :-)
Currently, the F10 behaviour is completely unchanged. It toggles the
visibility of the menubar, no matter if autovisibility is on or off. (Note:
it's autovisibility, not autohide!). If you have autovisibility enabled and
pop up the menubar with the mouse at the upper edge and it F10, the menubar
hides again. The next moment you hit the upper edge again, the menubar
unhides.
The autovisibility only works in mouse mode 0 (arrow) mode, not in yoke or
view panning mode.

Torsten