Hi All

Lauri Peltonen (aka Zan) has produced a stencil shader which can be used to
simulate the light cone of Taxi or Landing lights, or Floodlights for
airport aprons. The possibilities are endless. I have put together a demo
using the Buccaneer - some screenshots are here:

ftp://ftp.abbeytheatre2.org.uk/fgfs/Screen-shots/lightcone11.jpg

ftp://ftp.abbeytheatre2.org.uk/fgfs/Screen-shots/lightcone12.jpg

That's the good news - unfortunately, I cheated. There's some problem around
the near/far camera changeover:

ftp://ftp.abbeytheatre2.org.uk/fgfs/Screen-shots/lightcone10.jpg

And as you can see, the light effect works quite well on terrain, but it
floods other models with white. It also has hard edges, and no attenuation.
I have applied a texture which helps a bit, but it is far from a realistic
light. These aren't problems that look as if they will be solved short-term,
if at all. Nevertheless, I think it's worth pursuing at least until we have
light shaders available, so I have uploaded the shaders etc. to cvs-data. To
complete the process, minor patches are required to FG and SG - here:

ftp://ftp.abbeytheatre2.org.uk/fgfs/Light/

For those who want it an updated Windows binary including the stencil shader
is at:

ftp://ftp.abbeytheatre2.org.uk/fgfs/executable/

I don't think this code is sufficiently mature for inclusion in the upcoming
release, but once that is complete, perhaps someone would apply the patches
to cvs.

Vivian