From: Martin Spott <martin.sp...@mgras.net>
Subject: Re: [Flightgear-devel] apt.dat format
To: flightgear-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
Date: Wednesday, March 24, 2010, 4:19 PM

Erik Hofman wrote:
> Tim Moore wrote:

>> I think the point is that the tools that build BTG files don't use the
>> new format.
>
> Well maybe, just maybe it can be modified to output to ac3d or something
> similar (or even btg format itself).

Problem is that casting curved shapes into triangles, the way our
Scenery is currently set up, results in a pretty high triangle count.

A couple of months ago I've done a few tests: Compiling X-Plane's
current layout of KSFO (being a prominent example), including all the
yellow taxi lines, into a triangluated surface leads to approx. 50k
triangles just for the pure airfield. Now add the effect which Ralf has
been explaining on this page:

  http://www.custom-scenery.org/Triangle-Counts.272.0.html

....  and we'll end up with a _much_ higher triangle count than we're
used to. According to past experience with inserting OSM line data for
the (major) roads I'd say that FlightGear is currently not ready for
this representation of curved shapes - especially not for mainstream
Scenery which is supposed to run on a wide range of hardware.

Cheers,
    Martin.