From: "Frederic Bouvier" <fredfgf...@free.fr>
Sent: Saturday, June 26, 2010 5:57 PM
To: "FlightGear developers discussions"
<flightgear-devel@lists.sourceforge.net>
Subject: Re: [Flightgear-devel] Windows config.h-mscxx

>> > The files config.h-msvc8 and config.h-msvc90 are necessary for a
>> > windows build but are now in .gitignore making them inaccessible.
>> > Natively windows has no method to generate these files from the .in
>> > files, although this is probably possible by installing Perl, and GNU
>> > versions  of autoconf and automake. - and then learning how to use them
>> > !
>> >
>> > Could they be put back into the normal distribution path?
>> It was me, who put them into gitignore because these files are created
>> from the respective *.in files during the build.
>> Maybe I am wrong, but if these files are created from some other
>> sources, they don't belong under source control but the source files do.
>>
>> If I understand the current setup correctly, a run of autogen.sh and
>> configure is required to create the config.h-msvcxx files from the .in
>> files
>> before a windows build can run.
>>
>> I think it is very unfortunate that some *nix system has to run a
>> configure script to generate the files needed for a windows build, put
>> them into the source control system to be accessible for windows users.
>>
>> Maybe Frederic can chime in here with a better idea of how to solve
>> this?
>
> I originally included config.h-msvcxx in the autoconf system because there
> was a long track record of releases made with the wrong version in these
> files. autoconf is only used to substitute @VERSION@ by the right one.
>
> No need of perl or something else, just copy the .in file and replace
> @VERSION@ by a string, ideally the right version number ;-)
>
> If someone is able to alter the project file to autogen this file with the
> good version number, under Windows, without requiring additional tools,
> go ahead...
>
> Regards,
> -Fred

Fred

Thanks for that. I had just this minute run a diff check on config.h-msc90
(from my CVS archive) and  config.h-msc90.in

As you say the only difference is that each occurrence of "@VERSION@" is
replaced by "2.0.0". This is exactly the change that has to be made in
simgear/simgear.h.in before it is copied to simgear.h.

Is there any need for this to be done by all new cloners before compilation?
It seems to be an unnecessary complication.

All GIT users should be currently working with the same version (2.0.0) in
both simgear and flightgear. As and when a new version comes about both
these files can be updated and committed by whoever is responsible for
raising the issue number.

As an aside I tried to generate config.h-msc90  with cygwin autoconf - but
it failed with an error at line 799 in file configure.ac.

Alan