This discussion has branched out in a couple directions, but let me just
share a couple of my own thoughts.

1. I've been playing around with wordpress for my own selfish purposes:

http://www.flightgear.org/blogs/category/

I *really* like wordpress.  It's slick, it's well done, it's well conceived,
it's easy to admin, it makes sense, add ons are easy to install and update.
 It's a brilliant gem of a software package.  But it's focused on blogs and
I'm not sure it would have the flexibilty or capabilities to do everything
we'd want to do.  But we could do a lot with it and I could be talked into
trying this route.

2. I've played a bit with drupal, and in comparison to wordpress, it feels
much more adhoc and clunky, much less thought out, much more disorganized,
much less intuitive, much harder to admin, and much harder to make it do
what I want to do.  My gut feeling when I was fiddling with it was that it
was weird, it didn't make good sense how it was laid out and organized.
 Wordpress seems to be developed by a team that really "gets it".  Drupal
seems to have evolved from a simpler system to a much more complex system
without someone keeping tabs on the high level vision that ties everything
together.  That's my opinion.  But drupal is *far* more flexible and
powerful so if we want to do things "our" way and really customize the site,
rather than go with a simpler wordpress way of doing things, drupal would be
an option, just a lot more clunky under the hood and a lot more effort to
get there.

3. The wiki is another interesting and viable option.  I don't have a strong
opinion about setting it up and managing it because Simon has done all the
leg work on that, and now it is here and available.

4. I hear you folks who want to be able to program php/perl/python the
backend and really customize the site.  I'm not sure what I think about
that.  Certainly there are good reasons to be able to do some of this (the
aircraft download page was mentioned as one example.)  We could have
this available, but maybe under a subdirectory so these pages would be
outside the scope of the main system if it didn't support this kind of
programming ... (?)

5. The aircraft download page is a big can o' worms!  If we want to discuss
that page we should start a separate thread!!!  This could probably end up
with it's own dedicated server if added all the features that everyone has
suggested. :-)

Regards,

Curt.

Curtis Olson: