Hi Austin, many thanks for your offer !

"Contrapezist" wrote:

> center. They were cleaning out and I inherited an IBM x455 cluster. Its
> 4 chassis each equipped with 4 1.5Ghz Itanium 2's and 16GB ram for a
> system total of 16 Itanium 2's and 64GB ram.

I'm having a certain familiarity with EOL'ed IBM servers (RS6k
machines, at home). Just recently I finished the migration from an old
8-socket 604e machine to a two socket Power4+ - not only for its
increased overall performance but also in the hope that it's going to
pay within one and a half years via reduced electricity costs ...

Actually this is the point: Heavy iron usually consumes a lot of
electricity, therefore I'd hesitate to run such a beast at home (even
though I'd be happy to get my hands on one of these). On the other hand
I envision finding a nice place for it where it serves as database
machine for our Landcover-DB (the PostgreSQL/PostGIS database behind
the scenemodels-/mapserver-sites).

Wether this makes sense depends a little bit on how much disk space is
installed and if we find someone to install a new OS. I assume the
machine is located in the US, right ?

Cheers,
        Martin.