On 19 Dec 2010, at 18:48, Jari Häkkinen wrote:

> Does this indicate that autotools support will be discontinued for fg et al?

I don't think so - there's plenty of people who prefer the autotools to Cmake
:) But, it does mean I personally hopefully won't need to touch GNU m4 again,
which pleases me. For people who currently use autoconf, CMake offers no gain -
it's the people who use 'something else' who are more likely to benefit, since
CMake lets us automate steps for those environments (eg, creating config.h and
version.h) without requiring the user to install additional tools.

>> My motivation for creating these was my Mac Xcode projects becoming
>> outdated as the tree (and config) evolves - so I'll be maintaining
>> these, but of course if you're adding or removing files from the
>> build, I would be delighted if you update the CMakeLists.txt file at
>> the same time as you update the Makefile.am.
>
> The current autotools set up builds everything on Mac, no need for Xcode.

Yes, but for actually working with the sources on a daily basis, I prefer to
use Xcode projects, for the cross-referencing, completion and debugging
features. I have been using projects which originally come from
Macflightgear.org, but have been gradually modified and tweaked for two years,
and had grown some odd problems. Also Xcode 4 is looming, with a new project
file format, so creating the CMake projects was a useful way to get projects
files generated and maybe help some other IDE users out.

James