On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 9:12 AM, Roland Haeder wrote:
> I got another FPE with GIT version while in-flight with the A380 (recent
> updates of fgdata). I flew with auto-pilot turned on from EDDL to EHAM
> and suddenly the FPE happens:

I had a look into some of these FPEs. However, there's tons of places
where FG runs into such problems. May be caused by
incorrect/incomplete FDM configurations (e.g. affects specific
aircraft only), due to computation on unused/uninitialized data (e.g.
since a feature is disabled but the associated computation is still
executed), due to plain programming bugs - or even used deliberately
("...we don't need a division-by-zero check here since FPEs are
disabled anyway..."). And it affects the FG core - but also aircraft
specific Nasal scripts.
So, unfortunately, divisons-by-zero, processing with "infinity" or
"NaN" (not-a-number) values isn't really uncommon for FG. And since
the FG default is to ignore any FPE (i.e. not to use the
"--enable-fpe" option), few people care (I guess).
Personally I don't like ignoring such exceptions, since it often hides
real programming errors. So, yes, I think it'd be great if someone had
a look into these issues, finds all the bad computations and fixes
them. However, since everyone (?) else in FlightGear keeps FPEs
disabled, it may turn out to be a Sisyphean task to rid _all_ such
occurrences...

cheers,
Thorsten