On 8 Jan 2011, at 19:46, Jari Häkkinen wrote:

> The "problem" was introduced in November 2010 in commit
> http://gitorious.org/fg/flightgear/commit/a6458c2ed64757b1f416b0035df142d29359239e
>
> The change of line 17 triggers the change of string 'FlightGear' to
> 'flightgear' in the Makefile. However, the change of AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE is
> preferred since the previous usage of the macro in flightgear is
> deprecated. The pre-Npv2010 usage of AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE does not match the
> default automake naming scheme. Remember autotools is created by
> unix-people and they are generally not CamelCase friendly.
>
> The AC_INIT line sets many strings (such as PACKAGE_NAME to FlightGear)
> but not string PACKAGE that is actually set by AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE to
> flightgear. The PACKAGE string is used to derive the tar-ball name.
>
> There is probably ways around it but I suggest that FlightGear data
> directories are renamed to flightgear. Or follow Curt's --fg-root advice

As Jari notes, this was an unintentional effect of me updating configure.ac to
use the currently-recommened _INIT_ macros for autoconf and automake. My
concern was to get the version number encoded in a way that other builds tools
besides configure could 'see' - hence the ugly 'm4_esyscmd' trick which is
apparently the standard way of accomplishing this.

Obviously I didn't change the package name when I made the change - it's still
'FlightGear' - but the autoconf docs do state that the package name (eg, for
'make dist' tarbballs) is created by changing this to lowercase, and replacing
all non-alphanumeric characters with an underscore. I presume the autoconf
maintainers would say this is a feature, but it's subjective :)

Unfortunately I don't have a solution to restore the old naming scheme -
perhaps we can simply override the value of the autoconf PACKAGE variable after
invoking AC_INIT? I don't know what other paths and names are derived from this
value, and if that will trigger other problems. The path of least resistance
would be to accept autoconf's naming scheme, but maybe that's unpalatable.

Regards,
James