On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 10:41 PM, jack.w wrote:

>  Looking over the wiki page and info.  Is Sb747 and AVC limited to MS
> windows based machines?  Or is there a Linux version as well?  Is source
> available?

Only the sources of Reed's FlightGear interface (SquawkGear) is available,
but not those of SquakBox (SB747) aren't - due to licensing issues with
VATSIM. At least the author says he has "promised" VATSIM not to disclose
the sources. What's worse, SB747 is no longer maintained. It works for now
as it is, but has several drawbacks: apart from not being open source, it
annoyingly always reports a 747 aircraft to VATSIM. So even if you flew an
Airbus or a small Cessna on FlightGear - you'll show up as a 747 on VATSIM.
And yes, SB747 is Windows only. People running normal Linux or some obscure
platform (such as Macs :-b ) need to run the Windows software in a virtual
machine - or use Wine. Both works.
Yes, it'd be great if there was an open source FG adapter to VATSIM - it
could also be a single utility then and a lot easier to install. But I guess
that's not going to happen too soon.

cheers,
Thorsten