On 14.02.2011 07:58, Hal V. Engel wrote:

When working on this from an aircraft that is not located in $FG_ROOT (IE. my clone of fg-data using fg-aircraft=<my fgdata clone/my aircraft>) I was getting file not found errors. At first I though that perhaps I had a typo or something similar in my code but after looking things over very carefully I couldn't find the problem. So as a test I modified the aircraft-set.xml for the same aircraft in $FG_ROOT and tested with it and it didn't have the problem. I did some more testing and found if I run the aircraft from my development copy of fgdata it works but only if the xml file I am including in the aircraft-set.xml file is located in the same tree as the aircraft. So it does not find it in the $FG_ROOT directories like it should based on how the fg-aircraft stuff has been explained. Is this a bug or I am not understanding how this should work?

It should work - and does for me. But remember the "fg-aircraft" option does not support multiple fgdata clones. Neither should you give it the path to a specific aircraft directory. You need to provide a directory path, which contains one or multiple aircraft sub-directories.
It should look like this:
    "--fg-aircraft=/home/foo/bar/MyAircraftRepository"
and "/home/foo/bar/MyAircraftRepository" should contain directories like
    /home/foo/bar/MyAircraftRepository/747-400
    /home/foo/bar/MyAircraftRepository/P51-D
    /home/foo/bar/MyAircraftRepository/AH-1

Otherwise, post some more details on what your command-line and the directory structure of the separate aircraft repo looks like.

And yes, as discussed on the list before, the fg-aircraft option requires better checks and error messages, since more people have had trouble with providing the correct directory structure (especially since incorrect structures seem to work at first - but then really don't).

cheers,
Thorsten