Roberto,

> though on the wire I send precisely 7 digit numbers: 3 digits
> followed by a dot and 3 decimal digits);
As you describe correctly, you're transmitting strings (= series of
ASCII characters).

>>> <type>int</type>
For an input protocol this is the _target_ type. With "int" your
_string_ is parsed and converted to an _integer_. No fractions.

Keep sending strings representing integers (no dot "." characters in
the string) but specify the _target_ "<type>double</type>", using
offset/factors as described by Torsten. FlightGear will then parse
your string, convert it to double precision floating point, and apply
factors and offset.

Make sure you're using FlightGear 2.2-pre-release or the current GIT
version to achieve double precision. FG2.0/1,9.x only supported single
precision with the generic protocol, so there was no difference
between "float" and "double".

This is the commit which made double precision work for the generic
protocol, and it was not part of FG2.0 yet:
http://www.gitorious.org/fg/flightgear/commit/d0f6f748ed7a2ad34159e18d352e4df6c11e2cde

cheers,
Thorsten