> In the case of nasal, I believe the garbage collection pass must be done in
> a single atomic step, otherwise it would leave the heap in
> an inconsistent state and adversely affect the scripts.

I completely agree with you. Now I understand the whole thing much better.
I originally thought about a non-mutual-exclusive thread ( completely
asynchronous ), but then it would potentially leave a mess in Nasal heap,
right?

It might be possible to use a GC module from a GPL:d Java vm or
> similar.

That's a good idea.
As Curtis Olson said the GC should have an atomic step character (or don't
produce too much delay).

Does anybody of you know how garbage collectors of Java and Python and other
GPL'd script engines compare to each other? (atomic step character)