ThorstenB <bre...@gmail.com> writes:

> On 16.04.2011 02:06, Pascal J. Bourguignon wrote:
>> The props data protocol ls command has a problem: there's no way to
>> determine that its output is complete (unless we use a timer, which
>> would mean that all ls commands would suspend the client for the time out
>> duration).
>>
>> I'm proposing to add a lsx command, similar to ls, but that will
>> terminate its output with an empty line.
>
> Hi Pascal,
> before we duplicate commands: couldn't you detect output completion by
> reading until the prompt?

I was using the data mode.

In the meanwhile I detected another problem with get returning
multi-line strings.  Also there's nothing preventing some lines in the
string to start with -ERR which would be interpreted as an error report.

> When output is complete, the server prints a
> linefeed ("\n") and a "/" (followed by an optional property path and
> ">"). Should be easy to parse.
> Ok, the prompt is only printed in PROMPT mode (obviously). There is no
> prompt in RAW mode. But then it might be better to add another output
> mode, i.e. a mode similar to RAW which completes _every_ existing
> command with a specific character sequence, such as an additional
> linefeed. Adding another command ("lsx") wouldn't cost much - but then
> we should also add new versions of all other commands ("getx",
> "dumpx", "runx", ...) for the same reason.

So indeed, I had to add a getx.

> So, a different output mode seems a better solution?

Right.  The data mode seems entirely unusable.

> Or also possible:
> just add a new option to configure the prompt in PROMPT mode. So
> everyone can configure this to his needs.
> To see what I mean, try
>       export PS1="FOO\nBAR\n"
> in your linux console - or
>       set prompt="#FOOBAR#"
> in your Win-DOS box.
> Might be a better solution if you added something similar to
> props.cxx. Any other thoughts?

Well, some more thought is needed, since I also notice that it is quite
slow to dump the whole property tree.  The props protocol doesn't seem
adapted to my needs.