On Sunday 19 June 2011 10:50:01 John Denker wrote:
> On 06/19/2011 06:46 AM, Jon S. Berndt wrote:
> > Maybe I've gone wrong somewhere here, but something similar might work.
> > Also, in situations like a flat spin or tail slide this probably falls
> > apart!
>
> Let's postpone discussion of exotic flight conditions such as flat
> spins and tail slides.  There are much more prosaic situations that
> need to be addressed.  Let's start by getting the aircraft to behave
> properly when
>    a) _taxiing_ with a crosswind and/or tailwind, and
>    b) _landing_ and _taking off_ with a crosswind and/or tailwind,
>
> These seem like basic and fundamental features.

<Snip speculation and rumor>

> The value of these features can hardly be exaggerated.  For example,
> according to page 4-3 of the POH the "maximum demonstrated crosswind"
> for a C-172 is 15 knots.

<Snip long ramble and speculation>

>    c) _engine out_ (asymmetric thrust) in a twin,
We already model asymmetric thrust.
>    d) simple _inverted flight_ ... not an inverted flat spin, just
>     plain old inverted flight, such as people routinely do in a
>     Cessna 150 Aerobat.
Aerodynamically, inverted flight is already possible.
>    e) The effect of propwash on trim and on elevator authority.
>     This is a big deal in some aircraft, including the 152/172/182
>     family.

<Snip more long off-topic rambling and speculation>

So, I set up a soft field take off in JSBSim stand-alone with a 15 knot
crosswind using the c172p that is in FGFS git:

Rotation 13 seconds @41 knots 375 feet
Lift off 19 seconds @58 knots 800 feet
Distance over 50' 2150 feet
Heading Error >45 degrees

Then I added the induced thrust which was the topic of this thread in the
first place:

Rotation  1 seconds @3 knots 3 feet
Lift off 20 seconds @55 knots 900 feet
Distance over 50' 2550 feet