Hi All,

In the past, we've seen a large number of projects that were initiated for
FlightGear; Atlas, fgrun, the terragear toolchain, and taxidraw. Many of these
program have undergone substantial development, many contributors have come and
gone, and in a number of cases, the project management has changed hands from
one person to another.

While this is really great, I also cannot escape the impression that some of
these programs either don't really live up to their full potential, or at the
verge of constant abandonment, due to limited developer access.  Note that for
the latter, I have one specific case in mind, which is  taxidraw. TaxiDraw's
most active developer, Ralf Gerlich recently resigned, and I've been wondering
how to proceed. The official taxidraw repository is hosted at sourceforge and
cvs based. Looking at the TaxiDraw project page, I could only identify David
Luff as the project admin. I've been trying to get in touch with Dave to
discuss taxidraw's future, but unsuccessfully thus far.

I think that taxidraw is an essential piece of software and I think that
FlightGear could benefit tremendously, if it were only more easily accessible.
For this reason, I think that it would be a good idea if we started bundling
it's latest version along with the official release and incorporate it into the
automatic snapshot builds. Additionally, we need to ensure future developers
access. I hope that David Luff will respond, so that we can  work out a plan
for improve future consistency of it's development cycle. If not, I might
consider moving the taxidraw source over to gitorious and incorporate it as a
subproject of fg.

Any thoughts / ideas would be welcome.

Cheers,
Durk