Thorsten

> Im the last weeks, I've been working on integrating Lauri's skydome
> scattering shader in a seamless way with the rest of the environment. I
> have now a working version of the shaders available which could be
> committed.
>
> This is:
>
> * the original skydome shader, with an added simulation of a low altitude
> constant density haze layer and meaningful response to the parameters
> /rendering/scene/overcast, /rendering/scene/scattering and
> /rendering/scene/saturation.
>
> * a matching terrain shader which connects to the skydome in a (mostly)
> seamless way
>
> * this can render everything from rather heavy fog on the ground to a near
> space view at high altitude with (mostly) seamless transitions
>
> * some additional code getting the sunrise/sunset plausible by darkening
> the haze where needed. See
>
> http://www.flightgear.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=11274&start=135#p140
> 031
>
> for some recent pictures
>
> * a small change in 3dclouds.frag to let clouds fade into a matching
> horizon haze color.
>
> All this is conceptually independent of Local Weather - while it is
> supported and the relevant parameters are automatically set by Local
> Weather, they can be set from anywhere else.
>
> Now, I need some help.
>
> First, the combined effect of lots of 3d clouds and haze shading isn't
> fast. It isn't really slow either, with multiple layers of 6/8 clouds
> drawn to 45 km distance I still get ~20 fps out (36 without the haze and
> skydome shader for the same clouds), but I have the feeling it could go
> faster, there's too much redundant things happening.
>
> For instance, I get my altitude in model space by
>
> vec4 ep = gl_ModelViewMatrixInverse * vec4(0.0,0.0,0.0,1.0);
> alt = ep.z;
>
> in the vertex shader - but this could probably easily be passed as a
> uniform if I just would know how (lat, lon, alt) maps into model space.
> And so on. So if anyone with more experience in shader writing can look
> over it and smooth it a bit, that'd be very good. There is a writeup of
> the underlying ideas available, and I have tried to comment a lot, and I
> can also explain the underlying math.
>
> The second thing is - I can't get it into a distributable form myself. I
> don't understand the structure of effect files. In my current
> implementation, I have just overwritten the Flightgear defaults, used some
> really ugly hack at one point and distributing that in this form means
> either using my skydome/terrain or CPU rendering. I don't want to commit
> it in such a form, this should be optionally linked to the scattering
> shader on/off. Also, I run into other problems - I've tried to use the
> haze shader instead of object default, but they're not blended to the same
> final color when fully fogged, they come out too dark, and I don't know
> [...]

Looks like you are doing things the hard way. Emilian and I are busy
rationalizing, and combining and improving shaders as appropriate right now:
we would be happy to add your stuff to the pile.

You could do a merger request to our sandbox here:

https://gitorious.org/fgdata-textures-ng/fgdata-textures-ng

Or post the files somewhere that we can get them, or email them as an
attachment to me. I can't promise an instant solution, because we already
have a heavy workload in FG and RL, but we can take a look.

Vivian