Csaba,

Thanks, that makes complete sense, I did not spot that the id may be how it
is registered.

However, I have checked what value comes back from id and it is
'instrument-1-taradar', so i changed my call to:

globals->get_subsystem("instrument-1-taradar");

but this is still returning NULL!

i print out some useful info from my code:

log: set_subsystem: taecho: instrument-0-taecho
log: TaEcho constructor called
log: set_subsystem: taradar: instrument-1-taradar
log: TaRadar constructor called
log: TaRadar isnull = YES

Any other ideas why this is NULL?

Cheers