On 2011-10-27 11.35, Heiko Schulz wrote:
> And who makes sure and decides that those people really keeps to all those
> rules?

The project lead (or leader) should make decisions and of course be well
in tune with the lead developers, developers, and with the fg community.

As a bystander it is difficult to see a project lead in fg. What I
observe is that some people have more weight in their arguments and as
committers they have de facto veto power. What I see is a subset of
contributors in fg that could be defined as the project lead. Of course,
since this group is not (well)defined there is no control of
responsibilities or clear sharing of duties(1). And I also note, fg
seems to be thriving without a well defined project lead. Yes, the
status seems to create some frustration and changing the structure may
do more harm than good. There are many developers doing a really nice
effort.

(1) Yes, I know, fg is an open source voluntary effort. No one has
duties and who can impose work on others? Well, a clearly defined
project lead could at least highlight expectations, prioritize and
define what needs to be done, and how it should be done to be accepted
into fg. And what is not acceptable. Today these decisions seems to be
made more or less by single developers. For those of you who make
decision remember "With great powers comes great responsibility."

Sorry for the rant-like appearance of this message.

Cheers,

Jari