Hello,

>I just noticed today that the textures folder in scenery growed from 50
>MB to ~200 MB. But I don’t see that many new textures ? I read once here
>that the benefit from getting DDS is also we get smaller file sizes for
>the textures. But now I see textures like crop (and cropA) DDS files
>that take ~20 MB. Is this for testing purposes only, or do we use the
>space we get by splitting aircrafts in near future for the textures ? ;-)

No one said, that the benefit of .dds is smaller file size!

The benefit of .dds is, that it can be loaded much, much faster into Video-Ram
as  mipmaps can be saved directly into the texture. With other formats it has
be done seperatly and that's slow.
So perfomance has even increased with.

Quality compared with other compressed texture-formats like .png is btw. much
higher.

And Mipmaps also allow some interesting effects which you can see when you
enable the use of .dds-scenery-texture in FGFS.

Btw. the size of the texture-folder is compared with the aircraft-folder
really, really small.

Heiko

still in work: http://www.hoerbird.net/galerie.html
But already done: http://www.hoerbird.net/reisen.html