Hi,

>I read that X-Plane 10 is using a complete new system for clouds (LOD
>based):
>I haven't seen this in action, and don't know how good this really is.

I have tried the X-Plane 10 Demo.
I have a DualCore 2.6 Ghz, 4 GB Ram, Nvidea GTX460.

While graphic looks really good, and the idea behind the new clouds system
seems to be a major progress for X-Plane, I must say, I'm rather dissapointed
from X-Plane 10.

Even with low settings and (!)clear sky I only get barely 30fps. With some
clouds, it gets down to 20fps and less.
I didn't had the chance to see the clouds at max settings. And this even gets
worse using a aircraft with modeled 3d-cockpit. And forget about the fancy
HDR-lighting- 7fps was the maximum with.

Their recommendation is to have a more modern Multi-core computer for using
X-Pane.

So I'm not sure if this will really help us.

While trying to get the best settings for my Alaska-Screenshots:
http://www.flightgear.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=14482

I noticed again, that the most problem was the transparency right after the
amount of cloudlets.

Thorstens Local weather seems to behave sometimes better than the Global
weather, sometimes worse.
Difficult to tell when and why.

Transparency kills all- that's the main problem in my eyes.

Heiko

still in work: http://www.hoerbird.net/galerie.html
But already done: http://www.hoerbird.net/reisen.html