On Mon, Dec 26, 2011 at 12:07 AM, Martin Spott wrote:
> There are different ways to prevent a service outage. Setting up a
> second machine is just one of various different methods and you're
> well-advices to have a precise look at the bigger picture, evaluate the
> benefit against the drawbacks before advocating a certain method.
>
> The blunt "let's have a second machine"-approach might carry more
> suprises than you probably think at first.

As it happens, this is an area where I've got quite a lot of professional
experience.

I don't think we have any requirement for additional scalability/capacity
at this point - I'm fairly certain that a single server has no problem
handling the peak load for FGCom.

There's not much latency benefit from having a local FGCOM server
if you're in a global MP environment and communicating with someone
on the other side of the world (though there's more if the other party
is local as well). However, we're talking about carefully worded radio
comms - this isn't something for people to use instead of Skype.
A second or so latency isn't the end of the world.

Therefore the only argument for having anything other than a single server
is for resiliency.

Having multiple interconnected live servers doesn't buy us anything other
 than additional opportunities for the servers to lose connections with each
other or suffer hardware faults. The probability of the server that _you_
connect to going down is the same as if there was a global server, and there's
the additional probability that the server that someone else you are
communicating
going down.

So, really, you just want a live server with some sort of backup.
Fortunately no data
 needs to be stored/shared as the state information is minimal, as
channels are created
and torn down on connection.

If we were feeling particularly keen, one might want to have a hot
standby, and some
shared global IP address that can be swapped. However, to do that
properly requires
a very reliably private network for the liveness checking between the
servers, and to be
 honest is way more than we need.

If we feel there's significant hardware failure risk, my
recommendation would simply
be to have a cold backup, and use a manual process to update DNS in
the case of failure.

-Stuart