Hi Ron,

A quick test confirms that you were indeed right:

Engine state: 0, mag: 3, starter: 1, RPM: 440.915466
Engine state: 0, mag: 3, starter: 1, RPM: 440.567566
Engine state: 0, mag: 3, starter: 1, RPM: 447.837677
Engine state: 0, mag: 3, starter: 1, RPM: 445.897156

It must be that the periodic engaging and disengaging of the starter
makes it impossible to reach 550 rpm. If I also press 's' in Flightgear,
the engine will start immediately. Also if I reset the game and the prop
is still turning, it will start.

I do find it a bit odd how the starter was implemented. I wonder if it's
feasible to change it so it keeps running until a starter_power=0 is
received. In the meantime I might just change the idle RPM to 440 in my
copy so I'm able to start the engine.

Thanks for your help!

Cheers,
Vik