> This is an optimization to avoid running really expensive shaders on
> geometry that will be hidden from view. The GPU has an "early Z"
> capability and won't run a fragment shader if it knows the result will
> be discarded.

But that can't be all that is going on. In this case I'd expect that if I leave
the pass out, the system would slow down. However, what actually happens when I
remove the first pass is that the system runs just a bit faster, but I get
z-ordering problems for distant objects which sometimes appear in front.

Do we actually draw all the scenery in one go, or on a per-tile basis? Do we
really not run the terrain fragment shader when the terrain is seen through the
cockpit floor (my system seems to slow down even though no terrain is seen in
the event and the framerate responds to my shader quality settings)?

Much to my annoyance, coordinate systems for instance are discontinuous across
tile boundaries, which leads for instance to artefacts when using 3d noise to
create variations in the fog density, but I don't know if coordinate
discontinuities have anything to do with what we draw.

Somehow, this connects to the render bins, right?

Thanks, for any help, I'd really like to understand this better (I am reading
up the theory as we talk...), so I promise to (mostly) ask Flightgear specific
things.

* Thorsten