Sorry for responding this late, I've been on a horrible internet connection.

2012/7/26 Thomas Geymayer <tom...@gmail.com>:
> 2012/7/26 James Turner <zakal...@mac.com>:
>> Okay, I wasn't clear from the Wiki page what the final idea was. As you say,
>> so long as we're going through show-dialog it should be fine. My feeling is
>> we still want a C++ hook around creating individual widgets, so we have the
>> option the create custom widgets in C++, but it's not a difficult thing to
>> change internally.
>
> You can always create widgets from C++ by adding canvas elements
> through the property tree, but I think a fully scripted GUI is the
> most flexible and powerfull approach. Do you have any usecase where
> you wan't to create a widget in C++?
>
>> Hmm, I wonder if having a C++ base class for widgets in the canvas will
>> simplify picking and mouse-over. To avoid such details to the basic canvas
>> item.
>
> I'm currently thinking of adding a property to each element which
> allows enabling picking for this element. If the element is a group it
> receives picking events from all children otherwise only its own. We
> should also keep in mind that the Canvas won't be used only for the
> GUI but also eg. for MFDs which may have a touch interface where not
> necessarily widgets are used...

Sounds like a fine plan to me, I was just wondering how you're
planning to expose the events:
- Copy values into properties
- Expose the event class to nasal

I'd vote for the first option... This would result in quite a lot of
properties though, for all the possible states.
I've been thinking about this, would it make sense to have a default
mouse event handler, which exposes all "global"
mouse state to some properties in (for example) /sim/mice/mouse[0]?

That way, only a few mouse event values would need to be set as canvas
properties.

> Regards,
> Tom

On a different note: window management.
I've seen that in Tom's private branch, he has started on a window
class (albeit, it is just a skeleton currently).
I think we indeed want a c++ window manager, which is basically just a
dumb "visible thing that renders a texture".
That way, the canvas code only has to render stuff to a texture and
expose that, which is a nice abstraction point.

So, given all that, where can I jump in to help? I must admit that I'm
primarily interested in C++ development,
rather than writing nasal ;(

Thanks,
Stefan