On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 9:35 AM, Stuart Buchanan wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 8:43 AM, Renk Thorsten wrote:
>> It'd be really cool to be able to specify a few more parameters in
>> materials.xml to be passed as uniforms - for instance we could then generate
>> custom heightmaps for the terrain rather than hard-coded ones. Since I use
>> tiling-less noise functions, we could easily get a 1cm scale heightmap for
>> runway textures for instance, and we could give sand dunes same larger
>> wavelength noises than rock.
>
> I can do this fairly easily.  As mentioned previously, I think I'd
> want to handle this as a generic framework allowing properties to be
> defined in the materials.xml file that are then passed through to the
> effects and can be used in the parameters section.

I've just pushed a change that allows a material definition in materials.xml
to include a <parameters> section, which is merged with the <parameters>
section of the effect.  So you can now define parameters in the materials.xml
file that can be used as uniforms in the effects file, and therefore shader.

I haven't tested this particularly thoroughly beyond having half the
water shader
parameters in the materials definition, and half in the effects file.
In particular
the behaviour when you define the same parameter in both is untested.

Enjoy!

-Stuart