On 10/19/2012 09:05 AM, Renk Thorsten wrote:

> I have two questions to which I'd like to gather a few opinions:
>
> 1) Emilian pointed out here
> http://www.flightgear.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=68&t=17114&hilit=procedural+texturing&start=30#p165312
> that terrain textures are a fair share of memory consumption and concluded
> that we shouldn't use multiple choices of textures in the materials file -
> for instance we assign sand1.png, sand2.png and sand3.png to the same
> landclass). I don't know what the original rational for this was. It leads to
> a modest reduction in tiling since the base texture is changed every 10 km or
> so, but all in all I don't see dramatic visual improvements. It also leads to
> some more variety in the textures encountered.

Correct, they were introduced to reduce tiling artefacts.

> Both advantages seem increasingly obsolete to me, so I largely agree with
> Emilian. Procedural texturing allows to suppress tiling much more
> efficiently, and regional texturing exposes the user to a great variety of
> different textures in various places of the world.
>
> Hence my question - are there objections against phasing out the use of
> multiple textures per landclass in my future modifications of
> /regions/materials.xml, or are there reasons to keep them I haven't seen?
> /default/materials.xml will still be left untouched for anyone who prefers
> the old style.

I see no reason to include multiple options of the same texture if one
could do just fine. It's just a matter of removing them from the xml
file (or comment hem out).

I also noticed you effectively removed the need for winter textures, nice!

Erik

--
http://www.adalin.com - Hardware accelerated AeonWave and OpenAL
                         for Windows and Linux