On 26 Nov 2012, at 09:59, Stefan Seifert <n...@detonation.org> wrote:

> The nice thing is: the openSUSE Build Service is not limited to openSUSE.
> Packages can be created for Debian, Fedora, Mandriva and Ubuntu as well. And
> once you got that set up, it's very little work to maintain.
>
> I think this could be a great way to make FlightGear better available to
> Linux
> users.

Right, I've been hoping people would do this for Fedora and Ubuntu for some
time - ideally a package that doesn't depend on FGData of course. This would be
doubly advantageous, because it would make it easier for people to test the Git
code on Linux, but also reduce the amount of time developers spend helper
non-developers compile the sim.

Binary releases on Linux are /possible/ but a pain - working with each distro's
packaging system is definitely the way to go, in my opinion. We have plenty of
servers to host such things, and Jenkins to trigger builds (though the SUSE
system handles both of those things itself, I believe). I think what's missing
is Fedora / Ubuntu users with the right mix of motivation and knowledge to make
it happen for those distros...

James