Hangars are discussed in the wiki article actually (
http://wiki.flightgear.org/FlightGear_Git:_splitting_fgdata#Per-aircraft_project
 ) . That's why I pointed to it. Lots of ideas that show up on the mailinglist
have been discussed in the past and the outcome of those discussions is
mentioned at the wiki. First reading the wiki before sharing  your own (good)
ideas or opinions saves everyone's time, not at the least yours ;-)

Your question about James' system is a good one. I'm interested in that too!

Gijs