> Stuart, one thing that caught me out earlier today with using 2D cloud
> layers - while using a 2D layer and modifying visibility inside the
> layer is working quite well, the edge (moving vertically) is very sharp.
> I wonder if there's some technique to perturb the top and bottom of the
> cloud layer as the view transitions them, so it feels more natural. Or
> maybe there's even better ways to handle overcast / broken layers than
> the current 2D approach?

I've done some experiments in that department when I started on clouds.

It doesn't help you to actually perturb the sheet, because what you want is a
fluffy appearance of the cloud fading into the sky, whereas if you introduce
more vertices into the sheet and randnomize them, you get a sharp line
separating cloud and sky.

There are two techniques which probaby do work. They're based on projecting
the view integral through the upper (lower) edge of the cloud layer onto
something. The easiest would be to simply paint it on the skydome, but I guess
that requires that the skydome is done in a shader, not in the default scheme.
The alternative is to introduce a faraway quad which you just keep at the same
distance from the plane onto which you paint the cloud edge. I'm not sure how
this quad would best be moved and transformed. The skydome technique would be
fairly trivial, all it requires is to match colors with the layer correctly
(which is a problem in its own, because the 2d clouds do not seem to
participate in scene lighting properly).

* Thorsten