Thorsten wrote

> > Are the Winter textures still needed?
>
> In a sense they were never really needed... for instance I have never used
> them.
>
> Just to summarize the options we have to generate snow:
>
> 1) Winter textures
>
> They are base texture sheets with snow painted on, which means they have
> a fixed snowcover and no simulation of a snowline is possible. On the good
> side, they do not need any shader technology and render with some margin
> fastest of all snow options.
>
> 2) Snow texture overlay
>
> This uses shader technology to overlay a snow texture on the terrain, and
is
> the snow feature implemented in the default rendering scheme (I don't
> know about Rembrandt, maybe also there?). This has a fixed snow coverage
> but variable snowline and uses significantly more resources than 1) (needs
> read a second texture, needs to read noise textures, needs to compute the
> local amount of snow based on terrain gradient).
>
> 3) Procedural snow
>
> This is a white base color modified by several noise functions. It has
variable
> snow coverage, i.e. can change from thin patches of snow to a thick layer,
> and has a variable snowline. It is implemented in Atmospheric Light
> Scattering at the higher quality levels. This needs about as much
> performance as 2) and much more than 1) (evaluates terrain gradient and
> several noise functions, but doesn't read any texture).
>
> If we want to have a CD-sized base package, and if we're fine with not
> supporting snow on less powerful hardware, then we can remove the snow
> textures. If we want to support snow on weak hardware, then they are
> needed.
>
> A (more complicated) option would be to offer only one set of terrain
> textures in the base package and offer the others as additional downloads.
> Both the dds and the winter textures are probably relatively clean to
> separate - as far as I know they're not shared across different schemes.
>
> My private opinion is that aiming for CD-size isn't that important and I
would
> leave everything in.

I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong here: we now have so many
different options, but getting snow by method 2 or 3 results in deciduous
trees in full leaf with snow coverage on the ground. Not an impossible
scenario, but bare trees are more likely. Is this a bug?

So at least for now we need at least some winter textures and the ability to
select to select them.

Vivian