On Tue, 12 Mar 2013 21:34:36 +0000
James Turner wrote:

> 1) - I'd like it to replace, not scroll (so maximum of one message) but I
> didn't figure out the Nasal for that yet

Dumb question from me... why have the message at all?  What was wrong with the
fairly self-explanatory cursors we had before?  Maybe a pair of glasses or
something might have been better for the view mode, but I thought the ordinary
mouse pointer and the "control position marker" were pretty obvious -
particularly to anyone familiar with other flight sims.

> 2) - if you use the new 'Blender-look' mode (Debug -> Interface Options ->
> untick 'right click cycles mouse mode'), you won't get the messages, since
> the mode is spring-loaded. (And I hope to make Blender-look mode the default,
> since having used it for a couple of weeks, I think it's much nicer for fast
> moving around a 3D cockpit)
> This mode is also much friendlier to new users, as well as being faster for
> experienced ones, since they can't get trapped.

I have to admit I nearly choked when I read "Blender" and "friendlier" in the
same email!  (Having repeatedly tried right back from its first release as open
source software and completely failed to ever get even slightly comfortable
with Blender's mouse UI... this despite having happily used all sorts of CAD
and 3d modelling software over the years.)

The new mouse mode in FG however is actually a real improvement, I think... my
only question is what happens if one wants to use the mouse for flying controls
(as many / most newbies do, not having invested in a joystick yet?)

> 3) Gijs has informed we already have the same option for view names (I never
> even knew these could be switched off!), why don't I rename the pref to
> 'on-screen hints' and use the same value? i.e /sim/view-name-popup.

I personally wouldn't be keen on this - I quite like having the view names
available but find the mouse-mode change message irritating and intrusive.

Good work on the other pointer related changes though, I think the changing
cursor is a big improvement (and the control labels are handy too, I often
thought they'd be a good idea.)

AJ