The Linux-track is quite interesting, is it possible to make it
cross-platform?

From: TDO Brandano [mailto:tdo_brand...@hotmail.com]
Sent: Friday, March 15, 2013 3:22 AM
To: Flightgear Devel List
Subject: Re: [Flightgear-devel] Kinect for pc for head tracking?

Flightgear does already support head tracking, of sorts, via the linux-track
project ( http://code.google.com/p/linux-track/ )
However, linux-track makes use of the X-Plane SDK, which might not be
entirely compatible with the GPL, because it was originally only meant to
add TrackIR support to X-plane under Linux.
I have experimented with head tracking in Flightgear using a wiimote,
Linux-track and a homemade four points IR clip, and the tracking was fast
and effective. I believe it might even be possible to fork linux-track to
remove dependencies on the X-Plane SDK, since it is only really needed to
communicate with X-Plane itself.
I believe it should be possible to use Freetrack on Windows (
http://www.free-track.net/ , free, but not GPL)  but they don't list
Flightgear in their supported titles. It can emulate a pointing device, so
it would at least be able to provide basic head tracking, but if it can
emulate an actual directinput device with the whole six degrees of freedom
then it's just a matter of creating a joystick file for it and the accessory
nasal code functions to move the camera. The kinect is interesting, but has
a couple of drawbacks. The first is the actual cost: while cheap for what it
can do, it's still pretty high to just provide head tracking, when you can
get a wiimote or a webcam for a fraction of the cost of a kinect. The second
is that while it can detect where your head is, it can't really tell what
way it is facing. If you just want to "look through a window" the  it's
perfectly fine, but if you want to emulate the TrackIR behavior it won't
give you enough information.

  _____