James

> On 29 Mar 2013, at 14:08, Heiko Schulz <aeitsch...@yahoo.de> wrote:
>
> > Would it be possible to test sensible things BEFORE they went into GIT?
> think in the past we tested cross-plattform sensible things before it went
> into GIT/ CVS.
> > Yes, I'm aware that GIT is the developement place, and with this a
larger
> group of people can be reached for testing.
> > Yes, I'm also aware that developing for cross-plattform is pretty
> challenging.
> >

> Correct on all counts :)
>
> > But Co-Developers depends on the latest developement steps if they want
> to make it compatible with the next FlightGear release! It is pretty bad
for
> Co-developers when due such failures their own projects are delayed. Not
> every developer has plenty of time everyday and week to wait until the
> problem has been fixed.
> >
> > I hoped that I could get my Project EC135 P2 into FGdata in the next
weeks
> since I spent about guessed 100 hrs into finetuning the fdm, but due this
bug
> I'm not be able to make further developement steps, especially regarding
> tooltips and the new VSI, and so my little project will be delayed now for
> indefinitely time since I will probably very busy with studies again until
early
> summer.
>
> The issue you are seeing is Windows specific, and only affecting certain
> machines - Vivian has two machines, one is fine, the other has your issue.
> Note if you leave the machine for a long time (maybe an hour or more, it
> depends), it will start fine, and once that cache is built, future
launches will
> not have the same delay. So a work-around is just to leave it starting
> overnight or while you're studying, and then you should be good to
continue
> work on the EC135.
>
> Of course this is a temporary fix, we are looking at making the loading of
this
> data asynchronous so startup is not delayed, but we also lack Windows
> developers who can investigate the issue, since Linux, Mac and some
> Windows boxes are absolutely fine.

Hmm, not quite true. My fast box (Win7) fitted with an SSD has acceptable
load times (2-3 mins), but long for an SSD. My older machine (XP) with HHD
can take 20 -  to 30 mins to load depending on the scenery selected.

Which Windows boxes are absolutely fine? Might help to diagnose the issue.

I'm ready to test anything you come up with.

Vivian